ABOUT TEATRO FILIPINO
Teatro Filipino is a performing group for young Filipinos living in HK. It was founded in November 2014 by Catherine Tating Marsden, a drama teacher,scriptwriter and play director; and is a project in collaboration with the Sentro Rizal of the Philippine Consulate General in Hong Kong.
The Production Team is a group of 7 dedicated skilled Filipino volunteers, and has 49 performing young Filipino HK residents ages 5-29 years old, most of who can hardly understand or speak Filipino but are currently doing their best to know and speak the language. It aims to educate our young generation on the Philippine Cultural Heritage and learn to speak our national language through theatre, to provide a venue to display young Filipino talents, and to promote and support professional and amateur Filipino artists in Hong Kong. Workshops such as drama, dance, and vocal and musical skills training are done for free by Filipino professional artists who voluntarily share their time and talent to the members.
- The pioneer members had their first workshop in July 5th 2015 and first performance of the excerpt of the Jose Rizal the Musical in August 30th 2015 at the Philippine Consulate General Public Hall in celebration of the Buwan ng Wika.
- Last year’s project was “Ang Ugoy ng Duyan” performed at YTheatre,Chai Wan. A first-of-its-kind musical show for Filipino youths and families in Hong Kong.This was in celebration of the 118th Philippine Independence Day on July 3rd, 2016.
- “The Children’s Prayer” a Christmas choral concert in Dec. 11, 2016 at the Phil. Consulate General Hall, Admiralty
- Musical performance at the Mikey Bustos show in May 28, 2017 at Duke of Windsor,Wanchai
- Musical performance at the 119th Philippine Independence Day Diplomatic reception at the Conrad Hotel,Admiralty in June 8, 2017
- Choral singing of the “Lupang Hinirang” at the 119th Philippine Independence Day Ball, Conrad Hotel,Admiralty in June 17, 2017
- Carinosa Dance performance in participation to the Fundraising event of Section Juan,a Youth Organization in HK. July 15,2017 at the Bayanihan Centre,Kennedy Town
- Rerun of “Ang Ugoy ng Duyan” as part of the HK 20th Anniversary in July 30, 2017 at the Mc Pherson Stadium,Mongkok
ANG UGOY NG DUYAN SYNOPSIS
Ang Ugoy ng Duyan (The Sway of the Cradle) is a musical about one Filipino boy’s journey to discovering his roots and how that empowers his present. The play centers around Ibarra (nicknamed Barry), a teenager born in Calamba, Laguna, but raised in Hong Kong. Barry goes back to his hometown in the Philippines to visit his relatives for the first time and arrives as the townsfolk are busy preparing for their annual fiesta. He slowly learns more about his origins through daily encounters with his family and newfound friends. At the town dance, he meets Maria Clara, a young lady for whom he develops an admiration. He desires to get to know her better, but his pursuit may just lead him to unearthing his destiny.
Join Barry as he acquaints himself with traditional Filipino culture and understands how a family’s love and support can help fulfill one’s dreams. This musical will feature some of the Filipino Kundiman and folk songs, the national dance Cariñosa, as well as tribal dances from Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao. It is fiction with elements based on tradition, documentation, and historical facts.